Sunday, September 29, 2013

"The good physician treats the disease; the great physician treats the patient who has the disease"

The title of this entry comes from a quote by Sir Willian Osler. I hope that I can always keep that wisdom in mind as a physician-in-training and as a future physician. It gives my whole experience purpose, even when med school gets tough. And boy is it tough. Last week we had our first block exams. I'm glad that they're over, but I didn't do as well as I was hoping to. I did really well on my histology exam, ok on Anatomy, but not so well in Molecular and Cellular Biology. Although it was quite disappointing because I know how hard I worked, I've learned a lot from my block 1 exams. Here's what I learned:

1. It's hard to get down on yourself when you live on a beautiful Caribbean island! It's pretty easy to let your frustrations go with a relaxing trip to the beach while watching the sun set over the ocean sitting on soft, white sand.


2. Fortunately Block 1 exams are not worth a large percentage of the overall grade. I now have the chance to adjust my studying and do much better on the rest of my exams, now knowing what to expect. Although I was disappointed, I was also inspired to do better. It made me think of this clip from Remember the Titans


I have to change the way I listen in lectures. I have to change the way I study. I have to change the way I review. 

3. I learned about the importance of details. There were a lot of details that I didn't study that ended up being on the exams. It was a lot more specific than I was anticipating. At first I was a little annoyed because it's hard to know all the nit-picky little details, especially with the amount of information we're presented with. But then I thought to my future patients. What if I ignored a small detail in their treatment? What if I ignored a small detail in their health history? What if I ignored a small detail about their symptoms? It could have a profound effect on their future health. Details ARE important, and I'm glad I realize that now so that it can translate to the care of my future patients. 


4. I'm glad I have my family here with me on the island. When people find out that I'm married and have a baby they tell me, I generally hear from them, "Oh that must be so hard!" In some ways that is true. Sometimes I have to stop studying to take care of my daughter. Sometimes it's hard to focus with her crying in the background. Sometimes I don't sleep very well because she wakes up a few times every night. (side note: the other day we moved her into her own bedroom to sleep at night and my wife said, "I feel like I'm sending her off to college!" Haha she's growing up so fast!) But what they don't realize is that I have a TON of moral support! I have a wonderful wife who is always encouraging me and telling me, "You can do it! You are so smart!" Not to mention she takes care of the baby, keeps the house clean, and makes me dinner! It's nice to know that I can focus on my studies and that I don't have to worry about taking time out of my day to cook and clean. She is so WONDERFUL to do those things for me! Also my daughter gives me a great big smile every time I come home from school. It not only makes me happy, but it keeps me focused knowing that I'm not just doing med school for me, but for my family. 

5. I am learning to trust more in my Savior Jesus Christ through hard times. Looking back on the quote I used for the title "The good physician treats the disease; the great physician treats the patient who has the disease." Christ is our Great Physician. He knows us personally and know exactly what we are all going through.


I am excited for Block 2 and am confident that I will do much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment